A chemical peel is a technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck, hands or full body. A chemical peel uses a solution which consists of fruit derived acids in low concentrations with balanced pH to remove layers of skin, revealing the more youthful skin. Chemical peels can reduce or improve fine lines and wrinkles, acne, scars, uneven skin coloring and other skin imperfections. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
Chemical peels are most commonly performed on your face, neck or hands. They can help reduce or improve:
- Fine lines under your eyes or around your mouth and wrinkling by sun damage, aging and hereditary factors.
- Certain types of acne.
- Mild scarring.
- Sun spots, age spots, liver spots, freckles, uneven skin coloring.
- Precancerous scaly spots called actinic keratosis.
- Rough skin, scaly patches, dull complexion.
- Dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills.